Monday, November 12, 2012

Responsibility


Bias in the media has always been something that interests and disturbs me at the same time. This is why I decided to write a feature article for my final project on the effects of such bias on voters in our recent election. I have been actively researching for a while now and my findings have led me to be more concerned with society's media consumption tendencies than the media itself.

There is no doubt that media bias is prevalent today, but is it not our responsibility as citizens to inform ourselves on both sides of an issue? One thing that has been a recurring theme in the studies I've been reading is that the media bias affects people as much as they allow it to. People who refuse to listen to/read opposing views are more likely to be affected by media bias (like-minded media that polarizes their ideology). Since so many people only follow like-minded media sources, this encourages more polarized media to please the consumers, and on goes the vicious cycle.

Studies like the one done by Eveland and Shah show how an individual's ideology and informedness affect their perception of media bias, as well as how much it tends to affect their opinions. While I do believe that the media has a responsibility to be as unbiased as possible, I also believe in society's responsibility to be well-informed and to hold the media accountable.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? Where do you think most of the responsibility lies?

2 comments:

  1. I think the media of course has a responsibility to offer the public, information that is neutral and without bias. Yet in reality, I know there are very few outlets that are able to successfully do this.

    So, accountability also lies with individuals, to receive their information about the world we live in from various outlets to get a well rounded opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner and I discuss this a lot, Randy. I always have to laugh when he texts me, flustered about something he saw on Fox, as neither he nor I identify with the conservative perspective. Why does he watch Bill O'Reilly? For him, it's important to know what the other side of the story is. When one engages in conversation with someone who may see from a different perspective, it's extremely important to know where they are coming from. Sometimes being one step ahead, gives you an edge and perhaps you can change someone's mind about something.

    I know that the media is to blame. I think individuals are just as much to blame. But I know there are people out there that are trying to change their perspective or become more informed on certain sides that they don't necessarily agree with.

    Thanks for posting this blog.

    ReplyDelete