Sunday, September 30, 2012

Dogs at the Keyboard

I'm on a roll with the cartoon theme so I thought I'd post another. This one is by Peter Steiner and was published in 1993, but gained great publicity with the rise of internet communications:


How true this is. Web anonymity (depending on how you look at it), can be freeing, or it can be deceiving.  The idea that you can create an identity for yourself online is no joke; one can actually forge a new "self". This can lead to a more bold and aggressive voice in matters of opinion, even to the point of harassment. Anonymity gives internet communicators courage that they might not have otherwise because they can - if they choose - hide behind a different name or identity. Do you think this benefits us because people will now share their true opinions more boldly? Or does it lead mostly to extremism and harassment?

2 comments:

  1. http://www.thecarrboronews.com/MasonPicks/images/MotivationalPoster7.jpg

    I love the idea of being anonymous on the internet, but it also got me thinking about NBC's specials on how to catch a predator. In a world where anyone can be anyone on the internet it seems almost crazy to believe anything that is put on the internet. At the same time if everyone put their personal information up this could lead to problems as well. Overall it seems to me that the internet is one of the greatest mysteries, because it allows everyone the opportunity to voice their own opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this whole idea of creating a "self" on the internet. My friends and I always joke "we know this guy in real life, this must me his twitter personality" because some people just flip as soon as they get online.

    ReplyDelete